Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Just some pictures and little commentary

I just fixed the settings on my blog so anyone who wants to leave a comment on an entry can - I didn't realize I had my settings otherwise, sorry!
Class starts tomorrow so I'll wait till Friday to make a post but for now I thought I'd share some pictures.


Here's a view of downtown Wuchang:




Here's the city lit up at night - this view is from my balcony:



I don't know why Taxi drivers have to be caged in their area, it makes me wonder...:



This is how they drive - no such thing as yielding or lanes:



This is how close buses drive downtown while going as fast as they can - literally the most nerve wrecking event to watch while in a taxi:



Common breakfast (liang mian, cold noodles and bing zi, a fried spicy pancake-like thing):



This is a Wuhan specialty, re gan mian, which means hot and dry noodles:




This is Gao Qing eating dou si, which is rice noodle soup. It's really good minus the big yellow egg in the middle:



Nine course dinner at a shady little restaurant by the South Gate:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh. what an experience.
hope you are doing well.
love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

the taxi cage looks like a some modernistic chair that fucked up, and instead of being a chair became a cage.

does that even make sense?

Dona said...

The rice noodle soup looks interesting! Not sure I could have eaten it after seeing the "duck egg" in it!!! Thank you for posting such wonderful pictures, Alina...gives us a little taste of China. Good luck in your next several weeks! Dona

Anonymous said...

when you said "this is hot & dry noodles" were you talking about me or the food?

j-red

爱丽娜 said...

I was most likely talking about you probably.

Unknown said...

What a trip! The video is riviting and really transported me to Wuhan. I loved riding in the taxi with you , and wished I could be sitting in the restaurant to share a meal with you. You've got brass balls to take on the language, sounds like its sink or swim. You are such a surviver, I'm betting on you to overcome all odds. I was especially glad to hear about the English-Chinese mixer and facinated by the questions they asked.
Meanwhile back on the ranch-Pamela went and got a neww dog. Which of course we needed like another fractured rib. Any way what can you do. Her name is Gema and the story of her and how we got together is a Gem. I will let your aunt Pamela spin that one to you.

Love you--tracy