Friday, September 5, 2008

Wo de tong xue...

It seems that the next day is better than the last in this city. I've been fortunate to make some good friends that know a few Chinese in this city. They've given us tours, helped us go shopping, helped us buy cell phones, and have given us sweet tips.
Today was an interesting day. All the international students had to get up at 8 and go to the new student welcoming ceremony. All the new Chinese freshman had to wear their communist outfits and sit on little baby stools while all of the Westerners looked like we just woke up and got to sit in big fancy chairs. We get fancy treatment here. I included a picture (even though it's a little blurry) because it's funny to see how insane and how many of those uniformed kids there are:


My new Chinese friend, Gao Qing told me that for the first 21 days in school all the freshman have to march around in their comrade outfits for 10 hours a day to learn discipline. Poor kids! It's extremely hot and humid here (just like Kansas).

I've learned to really like my campus. It's so convenient, fang bian, to live here. There are stores, cafes and restaurants on every corner so there is no reason to leave campus unless you want to do some serious shopping or clubbing. However, the number one favorite thing I love about China is how they have the best drinks. I love milk tea, nai cha, and how they have a million flavors. The food here is also good but la si le, extremely spicy. Here's a picture of the dinner I had, tu dou fen, with my new Chinese friends:

More later.

[edit] I forgot to post the funniest picture I took today. Here are some of the treats Chinese people like to eat in the summer?? Corn and pea popsicles? Where do they get these ideas?


I have yet to take a picture of their blueberry Lays potato chips... no joke.

4 comments:

Jabb3r said...

DON'T eat that crazy food.

Unknown said...

that chino-military look seems way over done- ONE WORD CHINA--COLOR!
It sounds like your learning your way around the block. Is it me or does it seem crowded at that university flag ceremony or whatever. Your cuisine looks delicious. Think about this-the Chinese never have to go out for CHinese food. Your definietly not in Kansas anymore Dorathy. How's this for a popsicle-- cherry and green beans or licorice bok choy,
grape and duck egg or my favorite
tofukiwi. Ilove you my young american. Bitsy just walked on my keyboard MEOW-time foe bed.

tracy

Unknown said...

Hi, Alina, we love your blog!!! I am glad to see you eating such healthy food. Are you sure that the blueberry potatoe chips aren't just blue potatoe's? There are several varieties from South America, mostly Peru. They grow best in mountainous areas.
Anyway, we have a new dog. I found another goldendoodle at the Taos dog Pound. I named her Gemma. She is seven months old and very small compared to Cosmo, but they love each other. We didn't know where she was born until I took her to the vet today. He recognized her right away as having the same parents as Cosmo. Tracy is not very happy with me, but I couldn't get her out of my mind once I saw her in that cage. Well, that is my news. Please wash your hands often and stay healthy. I also cannot get the hospital description out of my mind.
love Pamela

m.chakrabarti said...

blueberries are poison.







JOKES

ps: you should allow open source id commenting, so i can post from my wordpress account.