Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Beaurocratic Overload

I wish I had the energy to write the entry I want to write but for now all I can give you are the highlights and some pictures. The flight to China was actually amazing; I was asleep for probably 75% of it. Staying up the whole night before really put me on a good schedule, so I'm not jet-lagged. The only thing I had to worry about was who was going to pick me up from the airport. According to my study abroad adviser some Chinese lady (Yan Yan) associated with the university was going to pick me up so I was looking for some tiny, cute, Chinese lady. After 30 minutes I was losing hope and tried to find a Chinese to help me figure out the phones. A woman who had tried to get me to ride her taxi let me use her phone but I guess Yan Yan's number didn't work. Because of this I was attracting a crowd of confused Chinese people and then a tall African American guy and a petite latino girl approached me - they were my ride. All they were told was that I was from Kansas and I'd be a "tall black guy." The whole thing was kind of funny. They gave me a lecture about foreigners looking out for each other because the Chinese will just "leave you to rot." I felt like they were pretty bitter at China but I later discovered Wuhan is a love-hate city.
The ride from the airport to the university completely blew my mind. I guess I was expecting Wuhan to be similar to Beijing or Xi'an but it isn't at all. I can't say I've ever been to a more third world city before - everything looks like it's falling apart. Even entering campus was a shock. I was feeling completely out of place and slightly regretful; however, life can change after a good night's sleep and a shower. Wuhan seemed better but still not what I was expecting. The girl who picked me up from the airport came by my room to show me around campus and by accident we found out I had to go get an medical examination done with the rest of the new international kids. For everyone's information, NO ONE wants to get a medical examination in China EVER. It was probably one of the most frustrating events in my life. Total I had to get a chest x-ray, eye test, ECG exam, sonogram, blood drawn, vaccination, and some sort of test to see if you've ever had surgery before. There were probably 200 people there for the same things and about 9 doctors total. This entire process took 7 hours. As you may know, there are no such things as lines in China. Things got dramatic every once in a while. While waiting in the epic ECG line about 10 Chinese men cut this Chinese woman and I. She yelled and yelled at them in Chinese and it got pretty out of hand. They ended up shoving her and her daughter around and pushed passed her. I was shocked. To make the hospital experience even more frustrating is the fact that no one in Wuhan except for a small population knows English. Doctors were yelling orders to me all day and I couldn't understand a single one. I feel lucky that my exam even got finished. I know my parents probably don't want to hear this but I wonder if any of that equipment was even sterile (save the needles). The hospital was pretty gross. There were cigarettes all over the floor.
Everything at this university is completely unorganized and frustrating. I feel that no one knows what's going on and if they do they don't know when and if they have an idea of when it's only a rumor. I'm sure once classes start everything will fall into place. Word is, the placement exam is tomorrow.
My first day is over and though this all seems pretty negative I've had a few highlights:
  • The new international students seem really friendly
  • My mom snuck a photo album and notes from Tony and dad in my suitcase
  • My dorm room has an incredible balcony and view
  • and I successfully purchased some computer equipment and bought lunch with my poor Chinese skills

Here are some pictures of the main drag from the South gate entrance of the university to the main supermarket and of the view from my dorm room.








view.4 from balcony
view.3 from balcony
dorm room

4 comments:

david T. said...

welcome to China!! have you found any good resturant yet? dude, it sounds like you've got your work cut out for ya! but on the bright side, think of how awesomely wonderfully neat and tidy and organized coming back to ku is going to be! everybody misses you and all that, good luck on your entrance exam, you'll do fine, don't be nervous or anything, in 2 months time your gonna be gettin' around like you own the place (which, it sounds like you actually could...) get in on some of that birds nest soup for me yea!? AND NOODLES!!

Unknown said...

Remember all those jokes people make about a Chinese fire drill? Obviosly based on hard facts. Your experience at the hospital sounds unfortunately alot like mine at emergency in Taos, except for the language barrier frustration. You're going to pik up the language pretty quickly-just for self-defense. we miss you already. but we know your blog is going to be funnier than Pee Wee's great adventure. The pictures are intense, looks like chinatown in Detroit. Gotta go, more later. love you, tracy

chloeb said...

im sad we never crossed paths before you left but i luv the blog name, YO SCORCHA. even amidst the grim city details this post made me laughoutloud (lol), i can't wait to read more details of your exotic travels!

erin said...

Wow, Alina. Sounds like Wuhan is a little rough. How was the placement exam? At Nankai, ours was brutal. VERY overwhelming. Probably didn't help that I never studied jiantizi. Oh, well. If you're still up for getting together around October 1st, I'm totally up for it. Good luck getting settled in!