Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mid Autumn Moon Festival Weekend

Ni hao ni hao! This past weekend was a Chinese holiday called "Mid Autumn Moon Festival." This is a time where people tuan tuan yuan yuan, have family reunions, exchange moon cakes with friends, and look at the full moon while thinking of their loved ones that they are unable to be with at the time. I would say this holiday is the Chinese Thanksgiving. The actual holiday was celebrated on Sunday so all the students got Monday off from school. In the afternoon my friend and I went out to buy a milk tea from the usual spot and the women working there actually gave us a moon cake. This moon cake flavor seemed to be spicy mixed nuts. I just want it to be on the record that the milk tea ladies did not give any of the other customers moon cake.

I was then lucky enough to be invited by my American friends' Chinese teacher, who taught them a year ago in America, to her house. We all were invited to eat dinner with her husband and daughter. I felt going to her house truly demonstrated Chinese hospitality. It was probably a ten course meal, which I must say was the most hao chi meal I've had in China so far. The meal included home-made dumplings, pig feet, chicken, celery with lotus, chicken soup, the famous Wuhan eggplant dish, cabbage, etc.

Her husband spoke no English but he was extremely friendly and I later found out he is an artist. After dinner we were shown around their apartment and given a tour of his studio. Here are some pictures of his finished works, works in progress, and environment (click on the pictures to enlarge):







Sup Dylan?

Here is a real pomegranate tree outside of their apartment. It's not a good quality picture but it's the first time I've ever seen a pomegranate tree so I thought I'd share:

Overall, the night was a lot of fun and an interesting cultural experience I would've missed out on had I not been lucky enough to meet these people.

Here are some pictures just for your viewing pleasure:

This one is for Tracy: We found Jackie Chan at our local grocery store!


A legless man painting on the sidewalk about the holiday. He's getting up because he doesn't want pictures being taken of him... oops


I love seeing this on a busy street in the shopping district. A good mix of old and new China.


My view from my table at the milk tea cafe:


The shops right outside my dorm. Usually this is where I buy water and send faxes to America so I can vote:


I'm sure you all have been waiting for some Engrish:


A group picture from the Mid Autumn Moon Festival dinner:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, there are some sassy lookin' chinese girls in your pics. dude, that moon cake looks like the dank, seriously, the. dank.

Anonymous said...

check yo' schwetschwey hotmail account if you even do that. if not hit me up.